St Demetrios Orthodox Church is a parish of the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. His Eminence our Archbishop Grigorios of Thyateira and GB is also the president of the board of Trustees which govern the Community which is a registered charity (no. 281574). The day to day management of the Community is overseen by the Parish Council lead by Mr Kypros Nicholas which is supported by St Irene’s Ladies Committee whose president is Mrs Panayiota Christodoulou. The Community of St Demetrios runs a Greek School, a Pre-School Nursery and an After School Club.
The Community was founded in March 1973 and celebrated its 40 year anniversary in 2013. St Martin’s Anglican Church was purchased in December 1980 from the Church of England to become our permanent place of worship and was renamed St Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in honour of the then Patriarch of Constantinople, Demetrios. It was consecrated on 30th September 2001. We celebrate our patronal feast every year on 26th October, the feast day of the Great Martyr Demetrios.
The priest in charge of the parish is Fr. John Hookway and he is assisted by Fr. Evangelos Liassi.
Mattins and Divine Liturgy (in Greek with some English) is celebrated on Sundays from 9.00 am to 1230 pm and on weekdays from 9.00 am to 11.30 am according to the programme of services for the month.